With more than 125 years of combined experience, the lawyers and counselors
of DeMoura | Smith have handled virtually every type of legal matter from
the complex commercial engagement to small claims court cases. Whatever
the scope of the matter, DeMoura | Smith's attorneys are committed
to providing high-quality and cost-effective representation to businesses,
institutions and individuals.
While it isn't possible to detail all of the different types of cases
or clients we have represented, DeMoura | Smith's attorneys are currently
handling a number of significant matters for its clients including:
- Defending medical service provider in federal healthcare fraud investigation
and criminal prosecution.
- Representing higher education institution in premises liability death case
involving student residing in fraternity house.
- Defending propane retailer in multi-party carbon monoxide exposure action
involving brain-damage and other personal injuries.
- Defending former hedge fund administrator against multi-million dollar
fraud and embezzlement charges.
- Representing product development company against copyright violation and
theft of trade secrets allegations in Pennsylvania federal court.
- Defending university in wrongful termination and breach of employment contract
action brought by former administrator.
- Defending university athletic department against claims of post-concussion
syndrome / closed head injury brought by former varsity athlete.
- Prosecuting non-compete and trade secret claims against former manager
of utility service company.
- Defending institution against personal injury claim alleging liability
for assault to visitor.
DeMoura | Smith attorneys have also successfully resolved thousands of
matters through verdict, dispositive motion or settlement, including:
- Summary judgment for landowner in $14 million Massachusetts suit brought
by real estate developer alleging breach of option contract and fraud.
- Defense jury verdict for telecommunications company accused by mortgage
company of misrepresentation and consumer protection statute violations
in Vermont federal court.
- $750,000 settlement for real estate developer in connection with purchase
of land subject to concealed easements.
- Defense verdicts in 18 product liability actions in 12 states relating
to allegations against appliance manufacturer.
- Favorable settlement for youth organization relating to allegations of
repeated sexual abuse by staff member.
- Defense verdict in multi-million dollar Massachusetts federal court action
for financial services company accused of fraud and misrepresentation
in connection with stock option plans.
- Successful opposition to efforts to construct multi-unit waterfront condominium complex.
From initial engagement to file closing, DeMoura | Smith attorneys recognize
that the delivery of high-quality representation is of little value if
it does not provide an effective, pragmatic and cost-effective solution
for the client's legal problem. The firm, in cooperation and collaboration
with the client, claims adjuster, risk manager and key decision makers,
is committed to the development of effective strategies to achieve the
client's objectives and solve the client's legal problems. Aggressive
representation, early case assessment and valuation, realistic budgeting,
frequent reporting and prompt responses to client inquiries are vital
tools used to keep the client's goals and objectives always in mind
and to ensure that all is being done to achieve an effective solution.
This objective-oriented focus, combined with the firm's breadth and
depth of litigation experience, enables DeMoura | Smith to deliver favorable results.
Tech-savvy and flexible
Committed to the mission of delivering excellent client-service and achieving
cost-effective solutions, DeMoura | Smith has invested in the latest proven
technologies, including cloud-based data and file management and storage,
virtual office applications and telecommunications software. As a firm
founded in the twenty-first century, DeMoura | Smith is not saddled with
the high overhead caused by legacy computer and data systems or floors
of high-rent office space. The use of state-of-the art and latest proven
technologies and the absence of high fixed-cost structures provides the
firm with flexibility to handle matters efficiently and to handle many
engagements using creative and alternative fee arrangements with clients,
including fixed-fee engagements, capped fees or contingency fees.
As experienced advocates, the Firm delivers high quality legal service
and achieves effective solutions for its client's legal matters. Please
contact one of our attorneys to discuss how DeMoura | Smith can meet your
legal and representation needs professionally and cost-effectively.