Losing a loved one can be overwhelming, further complicated by a seemingly
endless list of tasks. Often, those grieving do not even know where to
begin. From closing bank accounts to canceling a gym membership, here
is a simple checklist of steps to take to ease the process.
1. Gather relevant documents such as:
- Will or Trust
- Death Certificates
- Social Security Card
- Marriage and/or Birth Certificates
- Insurance Policies
- Retirement and Investment statements
- Bank Statements
- Recent Income Tax information
- Automobile Titles and Insurance paperwork
2. Notify Social Security Office or Veterans Affairs.
3. Contact companies regarding insurance policies and financial accounts.
4. Contact the deceased’s employer for information on retirement accounts, pension plans, and other benefits.
5. Freeze credit and notify credit card companies to avoid stolen identity.
6. Seek the advice of an accountant or tax advisor about filing the deceased’s tax return.
7. Seek the advice of an experienced Probate attorney to help you through the process.